DIOCESE OF SAN JOAQUIN
The Episcopal Diocese of San Joaquin consists of 18 churches and the Episcopal Conference Center at Oakhurst. The Diocese spans throughout California's Central Valley from Taft in the South to Lodi in the North.
The Right Reverend David C. Rice is the Bishop of the Diocese. The Cathedral of the Diocese and Diocesan Offices are located in Fresno. The Very Reverend Ryan D. Newman serves as the Dean of the Cathedral.
The 1910 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of California, and establish the Missionary District of San Joaquin. It includes the following counties: Alpine, Calaveras, Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Mono, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolumne. The primary convocation of the Missionary District met at St. James' Church, Fresno, May 9, 1911. On Jan. 28, 1925, St. Paul's Pro-Cathedral, Fresno, was set apart as St. James' Cathedral. The primary convention of the Diocese of San Joaquin met at St. James' Cathedral, Fresno, Nov. 4, 1961.